Droste effect with mirrors...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,438
Droste effect with mirrors...

I'm trying to figure out if this is possible to photograph it before I waste hours with the folks I'm photographing. One of the shots they're looking for is the droste effect, using two mirrors. This will be photographing two people (together), likely a half body or full body shot. Large mirrors will be available.

I understand the angle of incidence, but I can't think through whether it would be physically possible to photograph the two people inside the frame from an angle that would look relatively normal in the final product, with multiple repetitions, and not have the camera (or me), any lighting I need to use, in the shot. I'm thinking it would be better to use a single mirror and recreate the effect in post, but there's no question about it being fake when you do this.

I have a done a brief experiment using a couple of bathroom mirrors, and it seems to me that if you only wanted one or two repetitions it would be possible by increasing the angle away from the mirror you're photographing next to, but if wanting more than just a couple of repetitions it requires a close angle and at some point in the repetitions, the camera always ends up in the shot. I'm not sure if with enough precision of placement, and angle of mirrors, it is in fact possible to get multiple repetitions (at least 10) and not have the camera or anything that I don't want, in the shot.

I'm not interested in something that requires removal of the camera or lighting from multiple repetitions and in this case would rather fake the effect in post.

Can anyone help me think through whether this is actually possible?

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow