Are bigger pixels less noisy?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
alanr0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,452
What is Good Enough?

Nick Zochios wrote:

What i posted is an iso 8000, without any editing, from an old technology camera which is has a usable limit of around 3200-4000 (the most)

How do you define "usable limit" in this context?

Now at iso 8000, It has very little noise due to great software.
That's the fact. Either like it or not! (tbh i don't care

As far as I can tell, nobody is denying that noise can be reduced in software. There are questions as to how well it can be done without destroying texture and image detail, but we don't have anything to compare against at this stage.

If you have found a combination of equipment and workflow which suits your needs, then we are very pleased to hear it.  Some here had difficulty relating your initial post to the question posed at the start of this thread, but we now know where you are coming from.

In case you haven't noticed, this is the DPR's nerd corner, where folk are given to exchanging views based on quantitative analysis and on the science and engineering behind photography.

Regarding ISO 8000 from Nikon D700

For what its worth, Bill Claff's PhotonsToPhotos reports that your D700 has lower noise than the Sony 7RSiii between ISO 800 and ISO 1250, and is almost identical to the Nikon D3 of similar vintage I mentioned above.  A perfectly respectable performance.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_e.htm#Nikon%20D700_14,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4_14,Sony%20ILCE-7SM3_14

I don't know what tone curves are applied in your workflow. Saturation signal for D700 at ISO 8000 corresponds to 1359 electrons. If we allow half a stop headroom we have 1000e- full white in JPEG. Pixel values in the fabric bag behind your bottle are around 20%, corresponding to a mean sensor signal of roughly 40 electrons (assuming a simple gamma 0.5 tone curve).

This is in the transition region between Poisson distributed photon/shot noise (6.3 e-) and sensor read noise (5.7 e- for D700) becoming dominant.

I would expect the Sony 7Siii to deliver noticeably better performance here, but not by a huge margin. Its read noise is much less, but the photon noise is only slightly lower due to its higher quantum efficiency (51% c.f. 39%).

Both should respond well to competant noise reduction.

-- hide signature --

Alan Robinson

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow