Buying telephoto lens (600/4, 500/4) on eBay - issues to consider?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
talkin73 Regular Member • Posts: 108
Buying telephoto lens (600/4, 500/4) on eBay - issues to consider?

I've seen threads over the years on the issue of ordering lenses from eBay. General thinking on eBay is go with someone with lots of reviews that are positive (99.5% or better is my general cutoff), stating their pics are of the actual item, with a return policy, and using a payment system that provides some reassurances. My sense is that eBay and PayPal generally favor buyers, but no one wants to deal with a problem item, particularly not if its big ticket.

I'm considering a mark I of the 600/4 or 500/4 IS version on eBay and see nearly all sellers are sending from Japan. Anyone have recent experience with this? Any issues people have run into? I feel alert to many of the factors that might indicate "something is amiss" but I feel like there seems to always be newer and more creative ways for people to take advantage of one another (buyer and seller) so trying to do a little homework before making a 4-5Kish investment.

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow