Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matthias Harder New Member • Posts: 17
Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Hey everyone,

after reading and comparing a lot I want to get some more opinions before making a decision. I know this camera comparison has been made a lot and here I am, still not sure which one fits my specific situation best.

I will get a new camera, I'm not yet invested in either (any) system.

It now comes down to the Fuji X-T4 with the XF 35mm 1.4, the Sony A7iii with the SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss or the Nikon Z6 II with the Nikkor Z 50mm 1.8 S.

Right now I can get the Fuji combo here in Europe new for 2028€ (about 2400$ incl. tax) the Sony for 2318€ (about 2825$ incl. tax) and the Nikon combo for 2228€ (about 2715$ incl. tax).

I mainly shoot portraits of people and nature. I don't know how to put it differently. Not landscape but rather individual trees and foliage, if that makes sense.

The quickest af isn't as important to me, I won't shoot sports or pets. A reliable one is.

Video might be important to me at one point, right now it isn't so it's a nice to have, should I one day decide to shoot videos as well but not more.

In the past I owned an a5100, which I adapted some old Canon glass to and shot with manual focus. The results were great and the sony menu didn't bother me at the time. But I also haven't tried any other menu so maybe if I pick up another system it's going to be this whole other level of fun which I just haven't experienced yet

My thoughts so far are:

I love the Fujis images colours and texture. They have a beautiful filmish look to them that I like. If I get good colours straight out of the cam I don't mind and I don't have to tinker with raw files for every picture I take.

At the same time, the Sonys images often just look sharper. I've read that the Fuji produces sharp images as well. And if I zoom in on them, I often find them lacking in sharpness. The Sony on the other hand, produces this clinical sharpness that I'm looking for if I spend over 2000€ on a camera system
Still I'm not sure if I like the out of camera jpgs of the Sony A7iii as much so I might have to get out of my way to start shooting Raw.
Colours on the Nikon seem to be more to my liking than Sony and some of the images I've seen with this Nikon combo look even sharper and I'm not sure if they aren't almost too clinically perfect to me 🙈 I also know that the lenses I've chosen are a huge factor and I think I like the look of the photos shot with the 55 mm 1.8 Zeiss just a bit better than the Nikkor Z 50mm 1.8 S. I know the laters sharpness is incredible and still, there's something in the character of the images I've seen that I don't like as much.

I guess my perfect camera would be a Fuji X-T4 with the sharpness of the Sony.
Maybe there are other aspects that I'm missing and I also know that they all produce great images and I don't want to start a Fuji vs Sony vs Nikon war. All three are great tools and I'm looking to find the best tool for my need, nothing more
So if you have any additional input that might help me decide, I'd much appreciate it!
Thanks already
Greetings from Berlin
Matthias

EDIT: I guess what would be most helpful is if people who used one or more of these systems and maybe even these exact combos would share some of their experience. That would be much appreciated

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z6 II Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow