24-70 F2.8 or 24-105 F4 for Alpha A1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: 24-70 F2.8 or 24-105 F4 for Alpha A1

The extra stop of light really isn't that signifigant when you can just crank the ISO up a notch. The main advantage, to me at least, of the extra F stop of the F/2.8 lens is the shorter possible in focus depth of field. The shorter DOF allows you to highlight the subject by blurring more of the background.

I stressed over this same decision and decided to go for the 24-105 and I am VERY happy with my decision. Occasionally my 100mm F/2.8 will come out for a portrait in tight spaces but for the most part the DOF of the F/4 is plenty short for 95% of the portrait pics I take.

The Bokeh (The rendering of out of focus objects) on the 24-105 to my eyes is very pleasing. I haven't analized the bokeh on the 24-70, but I am sure it is very good too. I have found that F/2.8 can often be too shallow a DOF. I prefer the entire subject (person)to be in focus. Blurred noses and blurred ears with sharp eyes is a very annoying presentation in my opinion. But once the subject is a dencent distance away from the lens the total DOF increases making F/2.8 more useful for highlighting the subject.

I also own an A7RIV and have found the 24-105 to be very sharp. It should be an excellent lens for the A1!

For me the 24-105 vwas the right choice, but that doesn't mean it is going to be the right chaice for everyone!

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow