NEW 4/3 sensor. My thoughts

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Grimstod Regular Member • Posts: 299
Re: NEW 4/3 sensor. My thoughts

Yxa wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Data sheet is here.

Sony Sensor List

The new sensor is the IMX472 while the older sensor that Oly has been using in the Em1x and other cameras is a IMX270 that is not listed as it was only sold to Oly.

Pixel size will still be the same 3.3mu which is not bad. I actually like that size.

QE will be around 90% and that is a big improvement over the 76% of the old sensor.

The specs also list that it is a quad bayer structure. I wonder if that is locked or unlocked? Would be fantastic to in camera unlock it. Perhaps then you could use it at 5mp with enormous 6.6mu pixels. That would make it more sensitive than any 35mm camera. If the quad bayer is already binned then you could unlock it to 80mp though that seams like it would be out of reach of a lot of lenses for MFT.

It's 12bit. Would be nicer if it was 14bit but I cannot have everything.

It can capture 10bit at 158fps!

The sensors is also slightly taller, by 200pixels. Interesting.

There is also a 27db ADU while the older sensor had a 24db ADU. this will mean we should see higher ISO limit is expanded.

In summary, could see 1 maybe 2 stop improvement.

I have the D800 non BSI sensor and the D850 BSi sensor , no 1-2 stops to be had here so keep on dreaming

2 stops 43 sensor would mean that it’s in FF territory

Not going to happen

I said 1-2 stops. Not 2 defiantly. Also there is a lot more to noise then just making a sensor BSI. That only improves sensitivity by a small amount. Mabey half a stop. We will have to wait to see the details of the Quad Bayer mode. that could increase pixel size by binning and make pixels into or exceed 35mm sensors.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow