Photograph...graphic art....informatic..reflexions..

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,664
Fads, trends, classics

Josemi wrote:

And apart from this, don't you think that the big brands take advantage of these softwares to calmly not advance as they should in hardware and improve noise in isos, approaches, etc. and delegate the work to these processing programs because they are both interested? , I do not stop seeing people complaining that they do not update the software to improve the noise, emails sending them that they should do this, the other ... but ... we should not ask those responsible for the camera brand that we have for not offering us what What do we need and not a secondary ...? I don't know ... it's just a reflection ...

Recall Sturgeon’s revelation, that ninety-percent of everything is crud.

Smartphones have of course far outstripped dedicated cameras in terms of processing, but the results of so much of that processing can be rightly called crud.

My stepdaughters, who were until recently teenagers, would frequently use some special digital effect or another on their smartphone photos for a few weeks and then discard it. Sure, digitally putting rabbit ears or giant googly eyes on someone in a photo is fun—for a while—but like all fads, it is quickly (and usually permanently) discarded. These effects are the not the classics of the photography/graphic arts world, but are more likely crud. Even the girls wouldn't use some particularly cruddy effects, such as the filter that would turn someone's face demonic, which was disturbing rather than fun.

Dedicated cameras almost always have custom firmware instead of a flexible, all-purpose operating system like Android. While this does lose flexibility for fanciful updates, it has the advantage of stability and reliability. I do notice the newer trend of camera makers using firmware upgrades for actually adding new features, but these tend to be logical and moderate.

Dedicated cameras tend to forego fads, being more interested in the classics.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow