Using the full circle of the square - aspect ratios and the imaginary circle.

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
TeddyD Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: Using the full circle of the square - aspect ratios and the imaginary circle.

Phil A Martin wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

TeddyD wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

There is one more issue, and it has nothing to do with the image circle size of the lens but is also related to geometry at manufacturing costs.
As I understand how CMOS sensor arrays are made, those arrays are fabricated on circular disks and then cut out of that disk. If I am not mistaken, cutting out circular sensor arrays would not efficiently use the disk as harvesting rectangular arrays.
Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Which make agood point pro circular sensors, no need to cut the disc. Large format circular sensor, maybe GB file size...

Several "minor" problems:

1. A wafer that is 8" across has 50.3 square inches of area, compared to only 1.5 square inches for a 35mm full-frame sensor. So, your 8" round sensor will be 33.5x as expensive as a FF one even BEFORE you consider the reduction in yield. (Any "unrecoverable" defect in a chip means throwing away ALL of its silicon area.)

2. You would need a new line of much bigger and heavier lenses – bigger because of the need to greatly increase focal lengths to keep the same angles of view.

3. If your sensor is as big as a dinner plate, your camera body is not going to be exactly small, lightweight, and portable.

I think , well I hope, that teddyD made that comment as a joke.

His first comment could have been a joke but the way he doubled down in defence of it, makes me suspect that it's not.

Half joking and not very practical for most purposes but the principle is solid. What comes to lenses there's a multitude of existing large format lenses, many still used professionally for highest quality photgraphs. And they are actually lighter than most FF lenses.

TeddyD's gear list:TeddyD's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a6300 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow