Photographer Wins Lawsuit Against D.C. Metropolitan Police (article)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
j3ffw
j3ffw Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: Photojournalists need good business practices as well.

Seeing that this is a forum for professional practices I think photographers should remind themselves that good business practices even for freelance journalist shouldn't be forgotten. While I think this is a good outcome for a photographer who was hassled by police and have no specific knowledge leading up to this specific assignment nor am I making any commentary to this specific case. (Again I have NO knowledge of it.)

What I do have knowledge from living and working as a photographer in the DC area using many young photographers as assistants over the years is that whenever these big protests come into town, multiple shady offers are made to young photojournalists to cover the events, a lot of times somewhat anonymously without any real support if something goes awry.

Young photographers should not be blind-sighted by this case as a win. But a reminder that you need to force your client into providing you with both the proper access prior to the event as well as documenting yourself as a legitimate photographer covering the event. All professionals have to do an amount of pre-production and for freelance photojournalist that should probably include visiting the police prior(days) to the event and inquiring about press passes or what they require to see you as a working photographer even if you are an independent documentarian.

I realize everyone in this thread is more experience than I, just throwing it out there for any young photographers who may be reading. CYA

-- hide signature --

My Architectural Photography Portfolio
http://www.jeffwolfram.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow