From m4/3 to LUMIX FF...?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jeepit Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: From m4/3 to LUMIX FF...?

Jeepit wrote:

I have been looking at the LUMIX S line of food cams. I currently shoot Olympus OMD EM1X. If you look at my gear list you will see what I shoot with. I have been doing a lot of reading and video watching about the S line. I have also looked at the CanonR5. I would like to stay with mirrorless. I shoot, wildlife, portraits, landscapes and cityscapes. I have visited the local cam store and handled the R5, S1R, S5, and S1H.

The image quality I see from the LUMIX S line is stellar. The R5 image quality is right up there as well. The ergonomics of the R5 reminds me of my OMD EM1mark II. The S5 is close to the R5/in the ergonomics category. The S1R & S1H are bigger just about equal in size to each other.

What has me concerned is the DfD AF in the LUMIX S line. When I compared the R5 and S1H the R5 had zero problems with picking up focus on anything I aimed it at. I can’t say the same for the S1H. On ‘single’ and ‘continuous it had difficulty with focusing on the sales guy face standing 10 feet away. I would aim at something in the distance focus then aim on his face and the camera had difficulty with focusing on his face. He said he has the same problem with his Fuji X100 due to the contrast detect focusing system.

I am heavily leaning L mount and the S1R, over the Canon R5. But it’s this contrast detect system that is holding me back. I did shoot with the S5 and it was much improved over the S1H but I like the physical size of the S1R and H over the S5. If I can’t get the LUMIX camera to focus properly like the Canon R5, I can’t see me switching to LUMIX.

Anyone else finding this when they go out and test theses cameras?

or should I wait for ToF new focusing system that Penny is working on?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank You...

Rick

One thing I forgot to include was that the S1H was set to face recognition.

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow