The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP telemach Contributing Member • Posts: 685
Re: I think his list of criticism about GR3 is fairly pertinent.

doceyes wrote:

When you put a meme with a frown and a thumbs down, and the title is the good.., then one assumes your verdict on the camera is a big thumbs down, or are the bad and ugly points just a thumbs down?

emoticon reflects downsides so if there is a list of cons I won't give a thumb up because I don't support existence of these cons

If yes, that has not been proven. Making it larger in size may not necessarily dissipate the heat better.

making larger could solve the problem because battery compartment might have some vents and PCB could be not as close to battery, having battery cover door with a removable item like in GRII could also make things for better

just because you returned the camera for repair does not mean you still do not have a lemon. Same thing with automobiles. Some report overheating problems that did not get solved, some report overheating solved after a firmware update, and others report a solution to your intervalometer , time lapse, overheating

sure but I don't see anyone wanting to make this simple intervalometer test, record and share a video so possibly a bad batch or item could be identified;

timelapse was to capture overheating on video in a short period of time, real life scenario is walking with camera for hours and that's when it's happening

Is it possible that the battery is not the source of the heat but the lcd screen?

have you seen my video ? it is battery

In which case turning off the lcd screen during time lapse, or turning off the lcd screen when not photographing for a long time would solve the problem

nope because when you are walking for hours on streets you need LCD to quickly operate the camera; if you want to do timelapse only then yes but usual usage requires LCD

, and using the USB c connector to power the camera during time lapse would not overheat the camera.

that's what I am stating

IMHO, and I could be entirely wrong, but checking for heat in the battery area does not necessarily mean the heat is originating from the battery or the battery area.

but I did test it; it was very bizzare that when I opened the battery door it was OK but the moment I closed it (heat was trapped) camera got black blank or overheated; there was a time I was walking with battery door opened because that was the only solution at the time

there is no sensor for battery cover door but I assume there is a thermal sensor somewhere near battery compartment (there is a small gap, maybe there) so isolating the inner side with tape and using my copper insert possibly is taking away much of the heat and sensor is not reaching it's hot point

another evidence is swapping a battery, camera overheated but once you switched battery to cool one it was again not overheated and operational

if LCD is the source then swapping a battery won't make a change; sure LCD is adding it's temp to the overall (lcd+cpu+battery) but battery is crazy hot

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow