***Weekly Wildlife Thread: May 23rd - 29th***

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Snowfella
Snowfella Senior Member • Posts: 1,334
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: May 23rd - 29th***

Another visit down to the local reserve, lots better light today but left the TC at home. Feel I ought to take a step back from just tossing new gear into the mix and instead work on learning the camera with the lens bare before I start mixing things up.

Could get used to having every day of the week off but having had 3 weeks "off" now it's unfortunately time to start focusing on getting a new job. 

Crested Pigeon

Female Australian Wood Duck.

Another male Hardhead, seem to be making a comeback to the reserve after having gone MIA during summer.

One of the females. Eye colour is the main giveaway between the genders

Last time around I had a female Chestnut Teal, here the male.

Bluefaced Honeyeater, not really that common in this location but turn up from time to time.

Eurasian Coot, funny things as one moment they happily let others near them but from time to time they end up having a fit if another one gets even remotely near them. This one was starting to get worked up.
Blew the white of the head, know I have enough latitude in the RAW file to recover it but Imaging Edge can't handle it.

Locked on and ready to explode!

And the chase is on!

Pacific Black Duck.
Never had much luck for BIF with the old Sigma 150-500, AF just never seem to be able to keep up.
A7RIV and the 20-600 kinda blew me away today, shooting zone focus and in the mid FPS setting had 10 out or 10 shots in this burst come out sharp.

Got to work on my exposure, slightly blew out the head but once C One comes onboard I ought to be able to recover that fully.

Good spot to work on my BIF skills, just have to wait around on the boardwalk until the next family with young kids turns up to feed the ducks. I know it's not good for them but have given up trying to educate people, usual response is "oh it's only a little bread"....it's only a little if only one person does it but when it's a never ending parade of families through the day it's definitely too much!

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow