Manufacturing standards then and now

Started 4 months ago | Polls thread
OldSchoolNewSchool Senior Member • Posts: 1,346
Re: Manufacturing standards then and now

Breakfastographer 2 wrote:

Since we have to pick a reference time frame, let's say, compared to the 1950s, would you say... (pick your closest answer or write a reply)

Are your questions referring to photographic products or manufactured products, in general?  I'll cover both . . .

I think most photographic equipment is made better than it was 30 to 50 years ago, but there are exceptions, I'm sure.

Appliances are made worse, for the most part.  They're made to be energy efficient.  Longevity is not a concern.  The thing is that, if an appliance fails more often, it has to be replaced more often.  I'm not an environmentalist, but I would think that those who are interested in things like the carbon footprint should care about all the energy and resources used—and potential pollution generated—from that additional manufacturing taking place.  What good is it if an appliance leaves a near-zero carbon footprint but has to be replaced every 3 to 5 years instead of every 10 to 15 years?  And are those old appliances being recycled or disposed of properly?

I think passenger vehicles are generally made better now than 30 to 50 years ago.  Sadly, they don't exhibit much imagination in the lines of the exterior and the obsession with only using the colors black and gray for the interiors.

But back to cameras.  I enjoy the modern digital cameras much more than the film cameras from the 1970s and 1980s, and I do think they are more reliable than most of the oldies.

-- hide signature --

My state of confusion has turned into a circle of confusion.

OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list:OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 70D Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow