Handheld Macro for XT-2

Started Nov 1, 2020 | Discussions thread
GKN Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Re: Handheld Macro for XT-2

erikjanneman wrote:

So this thread was a bit old, but for me it is still current. I have some follow up questions I thought you might be able to help with.

I am looking into getting a macro lens. Currently I use an extension ring with my kitlens (18-55) or with an old Minolta MD 50mm f2.

Both get me results that are good enough for my purposes. The thing that annoys me about that though is that I can't focus to infinity anymore. So I need to keep switching the extension rings on and off and I would like to do that less.

So dedicated macro lens. The one thing that is important for me is that I can use it handheld. I do not want to carry around a tripod.

So I have been looking at these options:

• 7Artisans 60mm f2.8
  • LAOWA 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO
  • Dörr 60mm f2.8 macro (link) (I found this on Google, but can not find many reviews for it. So if anybody knows this lens I would be interested to hear your thoughts)
  • Meike 85mm f/2,8 Macro
  • Samyang 100mm F2.8 Macro

I find the native Fuji options to be too expensive, or to be to expensive for what they deliver (in the case of the 60mm).

But since I am currently on an X-T2 and these lenses are all unstabilized I am not sure how realistic it is to shoot them handheld. So I am looking to gather some information from people who have experience with these lenses.

Another question that comes to mind: does anybody have experience with these lenses on an X-T2/3 and on an X-T4? How much difference does the IBIS make to the handheld shooting experience with Macro lenses like these?

Thanks!

I’d look at the first two ….. the Laowa is better but more expensive ….. you will need to trade off image quality against your wallet. Also the Laowa goes closer. The top two are designed for APSC mirrorless, so more compact than the Meike or Samyang. I think the Dorr lens is a cheap ripoff of an older Laowa design for DSLR cameras hence more bulky.

Macro is difficult handheld ….. you must have a flash and diffuser or you’ll find it frustrating.

GKN's gear list:GKN's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow