"I, for one, welcome our new F1.7 overlords."

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
acps Regular Member • Posts: 186
Re: Limited Zoom Range

unhappymeal wrote:

acps wrote:

For the people complaining about the size and the weight, you are probably not the target market for this lens.

For me, the 10-25 may as well be welded to one of my G9s and I suspect the 25-50 will be similarly attached to another. 2 bodies and 2 lenses lets me cover 12mm, 25mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 85mm, 90mm and 100mm and everything in between - all at f/1.7 if I so desire. As someone who sometimes covers events this is the perfect solution

I know I'm not the target market. That's why I sold it :). I was addressing the previous poster who said "it's a bag of primes!". Yes, it is...at a significant size and mass penalty (over double the mass of three f/1.7 primes).

It's not only that it does the job of multiple primes - it does it without the need to change lenses or dig around in your bag. Speed is key. If you've got the time, primes are great. If you're covering events, reporting or even out in harsh conditions a zoom wins every time and these zooms allow you to get that extra stop and a bit over the 2.8 zooms without trading light for convenience.

No they're not for everyone, but if you're one of the people that needs it the fact that we have the option is fantastic.

Photography is all about compromise - different tools for different jobs. We're lucky we are so spoilt

acps's gear list:acps's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow