The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
2ndact scene1 Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Andrewteee wrote:

2ndact scene1 wrote:

telemach wrote:

All the good and wonderful was written and presented about this camera so I wanted to share my personal opinion about the bad and ugly of GRIII and what it is missing or lacking. Don't get me wrong, I like this camera and it is my main one which gives me results so I am not against it but simply disappointed about development of this product.

https://michal.walasz.net/ricoh-gr-iii-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Telemach, you told GRIII users that their baby was ugly and they are are upset at you!

Personally, I found your review quite interesting and informative. It tells me that Ricoh has limited resources and wasn't able to get the hardware and software on the GRIII to a very high level of performance by the deadline for introduction of the new model. But did they got to 95%? Clearly from the comments, it is good enough for most buyers.

Isn't this what most came manufacturers would hope for? If you can't please everyone all the time, then pleasing most of them is pretty good, right?

But some users will push a camera to it's limits to meet their professional or artistic requirements, and some issues will be revealed. You appear to be an engineer or scientist and you probably are also expressing your professional opinion on the imperfections in the design and execution of this model.

Most artists and professionals would just find the right tool for their work and get down to work. Why expend energy on such a negative review when you can funnel that time toward your creative outlet or your work.

There are a whole lot of options in cameras and lenses - best to rent several before investing and see what might work best for you and your projects. Sometimes it takes time to find those right tools, trial and error. But it does not mean that the photography equipment was faulty, just that it was not a good match for the needs.

And let's be honest - no camera is perfect. They all involve tradeoffs. The GR3 is small and there are going to be tradeoffs to accommodate that requirement.

I think every forum benefits from a member who gets into the inner workings of a camera and reports what they find along with their personal opinions. It is unfortunate how many people want to censor contrary opinions.

I'm with others that if so many people finding at least something to like about the GR3, an entirely negative review is an outlier, an exception. I mean, there's absolutely nothing to like??? Yes, he says others have covered the positives, but his blog post would have had more value if he presented his own balanced POV.

It has been a while since I owned a GR II and the idea of getting a GRIII has crossed my mind. Reading this debate, I think maybe going back to the GR II makes more sense for me (I like the built in flash, I do use a hood and prefer better battery life). The main uses would be small events (I had the first one in a year yesterday in bright sunshine and 90 degree temperates; a camera with a leaf shutter and a small flash would have been great) plus travel. But reliability is a big concern, especially if the main source is the eBay roulette wheel where it so hard to know what you are getting.

Buying used is often fine, but it's also a risk.

The dust issue is the main problem that concerns me plus I have the impression that Ricoh service is not topnotch.

That's true. Have you looked at what's available on Fredmiranda.com? It tends to be pretty reliable.

I don't look at Fredmiranda very often. I will check it out.

I've had each GR since the GRD2 and none have failed me. It's hard to argue against that kind of record. But I'm also a sample of one, true.

I would advise you rent from Lensrentals.com but they don't carry the Ricoh.

I do use Lensrentals  and I assumed they would have it but I just checked, no Ricoh or Pentax.

While the OP has some interesting work and seems to have used the GR3 for a long time, there's not a single image in the "review." How can you review a camera and not talk about the IQ and show images that convey your findings? At the end of the day, it's the pictures that matter - the output. And there's no comparisons with other cameras he shoots with.

It all just comes across as being grumpy about it, just looking for the negatives. I'm sorry he had a bad experience, I'm just not sure why he had to tell the world about it without at least either including photographs or touching on anything at all that he may have liked about the GR3.

As mentioned, I think he assumed all the good parts are well known.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7 Canon EOS RP +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow