SD Quattro worth it over Merrills?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lococola Forum Member • Posts: 57
SD Quattro worth it over Merrills?

I have all three of the DP Merrill cameras and I'm totally in love with them. Especially the DP3m, I can view its images at 100% and be amazed at the sharpness and level of detail every time I look at them. For the kind of photography I'm doing the Merrills are actually ok. Landscape and architecture 99% of the time. No action photography and no video.

However, since these cameras are all fixed lens I figured I might need to get some sort of ILC. I have been looking at full frame options from brands like Sony etc, and I have looked at many sample RAW files. But for some reason they don't seem to impress me as much as an image from my DP3m. So I figure, it's gotta be the Foveon sensor that does the magic.

If I want to stay with Foveon, the FP is out. That really only leaves the SDQ as far as I can tell, if I want to be able to switch lenses.

My question is, is the image quality and general color science of the SDQ of the same level as the Merrills? The SDQ certainly has the same quirks and limitations as the Merrills. So it should be the same image quality wise as well, right?

Anyone with experience who can chime in?

lococola's gear list:lococola's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR II
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow