The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
2ndact scene1 Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

telemach wrote:

All the good and wonderful was written and presented about this camera so I wanted to share my personal opinion about the bad and ugly of GRIII and what it is missing or lacking. Don't get me wrong, I like this camera and it is my main one which gives me results so I am not against it but simply disappointed about development of this product.

https://michal.walasz.net/ricoh-gr-iii-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Telemach,  you told GRIII users that their baby was ugly and they are are upset at you!

Personally,  I found your review quite interesting and informative.   It tells me that Ricoh has limited resources and wasn't able to get  the hardware and software on the GRIII to a very high level of performance by the deadline for introduction of the new model.  But did they got to 95%?  Clearly from the comments, it is good enough for most buyers.  But some users will push a camera to it's limits to meet their professional or artistic requirements, and some issues will be revealed.  You appear to be an engineer or scientist and you probably are also expressing your professional opinion on the imperfections in the design and execution of this model.

I think every forum benefits from a member who gets into the inner workings of a camera and reports what they find along with their personal opinions.   It is unfortunate how many people want to censor contrary opinions.

It has been a while since I owned a GR II and the idea of getting a GRIII has crossed my mind.    Reading this debate, I think maybe going back to the GR II makes more sense for me (I like the built in flash, I do use a hood and prefer better battery life).   The main uses would be small events (I had the first one in a year yesterday in bright sunshine and 90 degree temperates; a camera with a leaf shutter and a small flash would have been great) plus travel. But reliability is a big concern, especially if the main source is the eBay roulette wheel where it so hard to know what you are getting.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7 Canon EOS RP +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow