Jojophotomo Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: A1 IBIS issues

crazyorloco wrote:

brandagnostickk wrote:

crazyorloco wrote:

brandagnostickk wrote:

f1point4andbethere wrote:

A1 IBIS issue final update:

I received my replacement A1 from Sony today. The first thing I did was compare the IBIS with my original A1 by repeating the same 6 shots on both bodies. With this I can now confirm that ALL A1 bodies in general have this problem with the IBIS delayed engagement:

In the video above, the replacement A1 did still have the issue on 4/6 of the clips (the last two clips were fine on the new A1), where my original had the issue on all 6 clips. This may just be anecdotal though, they do both still have the issue. I was very careful to repeat the clips as exact as humanly possible.

You can clearly see in my original comparison with my A7III, the A1 often takes up to 5 seconds or more to stabilize, where other Alpha bodies don't (A7III, A7RIV, A9, A7sIII at least):

These clips were all shot back-to-back, without powering the camera off in-between. They were what I would consider normal operation for a event photographer or photojournalist. This issue will appear after you lift your camera from pointing down or have your camera hanging on a strap then shoot either photos or start a video clip in any of the photo modes.

This happens with all non-OSS lenses that we've tested; Sony 35mm GM, 24-70 GM, Sigma 85mm DN, 35mm 1.2 DN, 135 FE, 105mm DN, Samyang 45mm 1.8, and a few more I'm probably forgetting.

You will not notice the issue if you shoot in the dedicated video mode (which keeps the ibis activated constantly and so never 'resets') or if you shoot with OSS lenses. You will also not notice this if you never point your camera down or hang it on a next strap.

This issue also occurs pretty much every time directly after you power the camera on, but that would be much easier to work around.

I do want to acknowledge and thank Sony for working with me on this issue, and I have to recognize that their customer support have done everything within reasonable expectations to provide a resolution. Unfortunately it looks like we've discovered an issue with the A1 in general, and no replacement or repair will correct it.

Hoping for a firmware update now.

Kudos for investing your precious time to document a product flaw in all this depth.

Most reviews - including on this site - never deliver this level of professionalism.

We all should put more pressure on makers who try to sell us high price products ("premium") often in beta status and with serious problems.

At the price level of an A1 I find it inacceptable. This should not have a D5000 level quality control before it leaves the factory.

I wouldn't fault the reviewers - most people DO NOT have this issue.

I see some people now thinking they have the issue even with long OSS lenses (these lenses stabilize differently so you shouldn't see this happen). Some people believe natural camera shake which is very apparent in long lenses is the ibis issue. I see some failure in differentiating between that type of shake and the jitters seen in the videos posted here.

And that can be an issue in itself. Making these ibis concerns seem more widespread than it is.

While my camera does not have this issue, I do hope the issue gets Sony's attention and that it can be fixed for those that truly have this issue.

Well, this is a gear forum and the thread is about the question if a piece of gear - the Sony A1 - has some serious product function problem.

Second question is how widespread the product problem is.

When you refer to "most people" then I consider this irrelevant to the topic of this thread as the question is not if some people will notice the problem but if the malfunction exists.

After the factual information is on the table, potential buyers can make an informed decision.

I can assure you I know this forum speaks about gear and photography.

I think noting most people don't have it is relevant because it shows something may be happening to a certain batch of A1's. Which is pretty important.

There are people already tallying up who has the issue and who does not on the private A1 Facebook page. That person already had a tally of about 28 percent of users with the issue out of about 30 or 40 - which is not most out of this small sample. It is significant though and I want Sony to look into this.

-

Jojophotomo, I saw the video - it does appear to be shaky. I just don't know for sure if it is that. It is possible though. I can upload a shaky video with a long lens too. In fact it is common to have some shake when initially focusing with long lenses.

In that footage it isn't obvious that it is the ibis issue. In the videos in this thread it's more clear.

Unless the person using the camera in the review confirms the shake was due to the ibis not working - we can know for sure.

I'm a little unsure what you mean. Are you saying you think the shake in The Art of Photography's video is just from using a long, stabilized lens? If you really think that's the issue, then please go for it. Shoot a 70-200 at 135mm with stabilization turned on and post the video here.

But I guarantee you they will not look the same. I have shot long glass (400mm+) on Canon, Sony, and Nikon, and this is not what stabilized long lenses look like.  The footage from TAoP's video is identical to the performance of my A1.

Jojophotomo's gear list:Jojophotomo's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 20mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow