A very underrated lens with tons of character

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Exoddity New Member • Posts: 8
A very underrated lens with tons of character

I bought this lens off ebay for about $350 a number of years ago when I was first starting out with photography. I didn't even understand the difference between a crop sensor and full frame, or that this was a FF lens and I had a crop body. It didn't really matter. I fell in love with this lens, despite it being a tad quirky. It's reasonably sharp wide open, and stopped down to F5-F11 it's razor sharp edge to edge. It renders colors with that famous Zeiss 'pop', and the bokeh transitions are buttery smooth. That it feels like a rather insignificant chunk of plastic belies what a fantastic lens it is. I would much rather carry around this tiny 2.8 35mm (which doubles as a nifty fifty on crop sensors) than any of the enormous 1.4 or 1.8 sony alternatives.

If I had one complaint, it's the itty bitty lens cap that snaps into the lens hood. makes using filters difficult.

Exoddity's gear list:Exoddity's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R III GoPro Hero7 Black Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +16 more
Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
Wideangle prime lens • Sony FE • SEL35F28Z
Announced: Oct 16, 2013
Exoddity's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow