Proving Eqpt. Prior Ownership on Foreign Travel

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,927
Re: Proving Eqpt. Prior Ownership on Foreign Travel

peter826 wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

mfinley wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

My last trip abroad was to Canada. Despite being a white haired caucasian senior citizen, customs held me and my gear up until just 3 minutes before I would've missed my flight from Toronto to DC. I guess it was a mistake to greet him with a smile and a "Good morning, officer."

After that experience, I assume nothing!

Dang that sucks.

You confused me, that was Canadian customs thinking you bought gear in Canada and hassling you over it? I would think the scenario you are asking about would only be possible when you cleared customs upon arrival in the US which should have been in DC, or am I missing something?

No, Mike. That was U.S. Customs in the Toronto airport checking people before they board a plane bound for the U.S. There was no customs inspection upon arrival in D.C. Yeah, I know; I thought that was weird, too. Must be a U.S./Canada thing.

US Customs has a presence in many international airports in Canada, as well as at least one European airport (Dublin, Ireland). When you clear US customs in those airports, it is basically like you are on a domestic flight -- you won't have to go through customs again when you enter the USA. I think they're hoping to expand this pre-clearance to more European airports, but I don't know which ones.

The reason for this is due to the desire by airlines to service many smaller US airports from Canada that would have no other need for Customs and Border services.  So stationing a few agents in 6-10 Canadian cities is very cost effective.  It allows a city like Cedar Rapids, or smaller Kalispell outside Glacier to have a single flight from a city in Canada which might be their only international flight.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Canon G5 X II Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow