GX9 Compared to PEN-F

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577
GX9 Compared to PEN-F

Now that I’ve gotten my COVID shots, I want to get out and start taking pictures again. I have the Pany G9 as my “serious” camera, but am looking for a smaller, lighter camera for casual use. I am not all that happy with my Olympus PEN-F, for various reasons.

I am considering the Panasonic GX9, over the Olympus E-M5 Mk III. The E-M5.3 is a fine camera, but the GX9 has a fold-out LCD (which I greatly prefer to the articulated kind), and a built-in flash.  It comes bundled with a fairly decent lens whose focal range would be useful to me, and - most importantly – uses the same menu system my G9 does. (I have found that switching from one menu system to another is a pain; I’d rather have both cameras use the same menus.)

My intent is to supplement, or hopefully replace, the PEN-F with a camera that offers at least equivalent (or ideally, a bit better) image quality, features, and ergonomics.

I realize the GX9's IBIS isn't as good as the PEN-F, but the tilt-out LCD held against my body will make up for that.

I don’t shoot fast action subjects and don’t make videos.  I shoot landscapes and places we go, and take photos of family, friends, and our cat.

I’ve read the reviews of both cameras over and over, and think I pretty much understand the differences between the E-M5.3 and GX9, spec and feature wise.

So, I guess the questions are as follows: is there anyone who actually shot with a PEN-F and the Panasonic GX9? If so, how did it compare to the PEN-F? Was the final output at least as good as the PEN-F? Or, would I be gaining a fold-out LCD and Panasonic menu system, but lose out in other areas?

PS.  If you went from a PEN-F to an E-M5 Mk III and have comments you'd like to share, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +6 more
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow