Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,748
What's the big deal?

Wingsfan wrote:

I love the format and I doubt I will be changing anytime in the next 5 to 10 years, even if the whole thing goes away, but I wonder what's going to happen now. Is the sensor limited size wise, for 8K? And what about significantly larger megapixel counts? Personally I don't need anything more than 20MP, and I've never needed more than the system could provide, but there are people out there that need to push it much more than I do.

And at what point does a pixel become so small, that even with newer sensor innovations, there is a point where it just can't compete with a somewhat larger sensor? FF has become cost competitive for an amateur now, versus being priced out a few years ago.

I don't get this stuff about 'can't compete with'. There is no denying that full-frame sensors perform better than smaller sensors if you want high resolution combined with high-ISO performance. Just as Jaguars go faster (or go faster more comfortably) than Minis.

But ... an M43 system is far more convenient and comfortable to carry around than a full-frame system - bodies are mostly smaller and lighter, and the lenses are certainly smaller and lighter.

You select a system based on your priorities. For me, compactness and weight (and to some extent price) are key issues. M43 suits me fine. Other people have other priorities. So - the systems co-exist. You have choice. It is not a war. Despite the impression given in threads of this kind. And the needlessly provocative title of the original post.

-- hide signature --

Tim
'If I were you, I wouldn't start from here ... '
http://timauger.smugmug.com

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow