Japan’s Favorite Camera Brand Isn’t Canon, Nikon, or Sony, Survey Reveals

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RBIV Regular Member • Posts: 348
Re: Japan’s Favorite Camera Brand Isn’t Canon, Nikon, or Sony, Survey Reveals

GossCTP wrote:

The part that strategy that doesn't make sense to me is that waning development of DSLR lenses means there will be no Tokina or Tamron lens partnerships going forward. Pentax's small market share will have to be enough to cover the design of all new lenses, without any wheeling and dealing as they have done in the past. New camera development may be slow, but Pentax knows how to create good upper tier DSLRs at decent price points. It's the lens situation that is troublesome.

It strikes me that things might not be so rosy for the independent lens manufacturers either.  Rapid change in formats and mounting systems, declining volumes, and who knows what comes next.

The Big Three camera manufacturers probably want to offer high end end lenses, and perhaps allow independents as off brand, or do OEM deals for the low end.  I'm not sure how attractive that is to a Sigma or Tamron.

I wonder if the possibility exists for an independent to work with Ricoh/Pentax.  Certainly smaller volumes, but at better margins is my guess,  as long as Pentax has DSLR bodies people want.

Not predicting or suggesting,  just wondering...

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow