Fringer EF-FX vs Metabones Speedbooster EF-FX (with Sigma 150-600)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP xaprb Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Fringer EF-FX vs Metabones Speedbooster EF-FX (with Sigma 150-600)

Just to update my experience here, I have rented an X-T4 and a Tamron 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD in EF-mount to try it out as well.

The X-T4's focusing seems identical to my X-S10's. I didn't expect anything different, but I thought it was worth a try. The Sigma still hunts terribly, and misses focus when it doesn't hunt. I recorded the lens focusing back-and-forth between near and far targets, to measure focus speed. I couldn't tell any difference between the cameras.

The Tamron works a lot better than the Sigma for me. It's snappier and a lot more accurate to autofocus. Still a far cry from my Fujifilm XF 50-140 f/2.8 though, which nails focus every time nearly instantaneously, even with the 1.4x teleconverter. With the TC, it's f/4 and still has better image quality and autofocus than the Tamron. The Tamron impressed me for the price, though. It was better than I expected it to be.

I think the Sigma is defective / a bad copy. I'll be returning it, and the Fringer along with it; I won't be trying any more adapted autofocus lenses. Even if the Sigma worked as well as the Tamron, I had failed to realize how big and heavy it is. It's like mounting a fire extinguisher to the front of my camera.

In reading around the forums (a lot!) I am impressed the most by how much people's experience varies, even with the same equipment and settings. Some people report lens X is much quicker to focus than lens Y, others with the same gear say the opposite. A lot seems to depend on whether you get a "good" copy of a lens or not. If you have a good sample of the Sigma, and your Fuji is slightly off in some way, or vice versa... to me, it seems plausible that would explain a lot.

My Fujifilm 100-400 has been on backorder since early December, but B&H told me it was to arrive at their warehouse a couple of days ago (though they're observing Shavuos right now). I'm hoping that it'll ship soon so I'll get to compare it with the rented Tamron while I still have that.

xaprb's gear list:xaprb's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow