How to tighten the collar on the 70-200mm FL ED?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Tom Stites
Tom Stites Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: How to tighten the collar on the 70-200mm FL ED?

I see that this question has been answered, but I did want to make a comment based on pulling my lens out and checking it.

With my lens, from the point where the Tripod Ring locking knob just starts to have some resistance when turning clockwise to locking the ring to the point that it's unable to be rotated without extreme force is between 1/8th and 1/4 of a turn.

As the locking knob can't be removed, there is really no way to tell, but I suspect there is some sort of friction material on the end of that knob/bolt...or a friction pad built into the lens collar that the bolt depresses to contact the lens body.  It's possible, and likely,  that over-tightening the knob/bolt could somehow damage mechanism or however they apply friction to the lens body.  I'm sure it's not just metal to metal contact of the bolt to the lens body, but I'm not taking my lens apart to find out! 

I hope the OP will comment once the lens is repaired...

Tom Stites's gear list:Tom Stites's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow