Tripod 'system' upgrade - help/advice

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carlman New Member • Posts: 6
Tripod 'system' upgrade - help/advice

I've got a really old Bogen tripod (very heavy/cantankerous) and a newer, smaller carbon fiber Dolica.  This system isn't working for me for a couple of reasons.

The old Bogen design is great but it's just so heavy (10+ lbs) and it's got a variety of aging issues.  None bad alone but added up I'm ok with an upgrade.

On the Bogen, I would mount the old giant hexagonal plate to my gear and just pop it into the head.  Boom, done.  I want that again.  I don't know what it's called, though.  Manfrotto has a lot of plates now.

The Dolica has a special sized mounting plate and no matter what I order from them, it's the wrong size.  I've lost mine so it is now useless.  I will get a new head for it once I figure out what kind of plate I have to get to do what I want on my primary tripod.

Most everyone has gone to an 'arca-swiss-type' plate now, including the Dolica.  But they're all different and it just slides around and you have to screw it in with a tiny knurled knob, which doesn't confirm a good connection like the 'click in' hex plate.  Plus it's quite difficult to turn that knob..

<gripe on>: Why is this the greatest new thing?  I mean, CLICK! vs.. fiddle fiddle, slide, adjust, turn, turn, hope... why?  <gripe off>

Also, I'd really like a fluid head.  One large, one small ideally.. but maybe just 1 medium.  I'm strong but tendonitis and arthritis sucks.

I saw a video where Kirk had designed their plates to go on a Manfrotto 502AH head.  The Kirk adapator is called a 'Quick Release' arca-type.  I thought that sounded great.. maybe I could get a click-in system again.. and the fluid head.... on a newer lighter set of legs like Benro's Mach3 or something.. cool.

I can get an L bracket for my D750 and be done, right?  I have no idea what 'arca-type' it is but if I get 1 system, a few extra plates, I can mount all my cameras/lenses to this 1 mid-sized tripod and be done.  I'll figure out the little tripod later.

BUT.. "quick release" apparently is just words.  It's the same finger-jamming little knob adjusting thing.  I don't see a mechanism that would lock it in otherwise.

Kirk Head fix

I was so close.

Does anyone know of a way to get the fluid head, with an easy or real quick release setup?

I have not used a Kirk or RRS system so I only know the cheap stuff... Neewer, Dolica, and Leofoto.  they all have so much drag/resistance on the tightening knobs I can barely tell when they get all the way tight.

Thanks for any suggestions.. and your patience reading this!

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow