Is this a good photograph? (seeking C&C)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NixonS Regular Member • Posts: 362
Is this a good photograph? (seeking C&C)

Hi all, just thought I'd ask for some comments & criticism of a photograph of mine. Don't worry, I won't spam my crappy photos on here

Sometimes, I find it hard to determine which photos of mine are poor and which ones are great. It's very easy to second guess myself and think that something like this isn't good enough, but why is that?

At the time, it was interesting enough to catch my eye, and I hadn't noticed this half & half light and dark thing going on here which I think adds something interesting. There were multiple chandeliers, which I thought would make an interesting composition by itself. I'm wondering if I should have blurred the background more by getting closer? The specs of circular highlights to my eyes look lovely, and I like how they stand out in the dark.

But in terms of what I don't like -- I'm not sure if the angle is right. The dark/light parts are about 40% and 60%, should have I gone half and half? I think the exposure is just about right, but it feels like it needs something else, what do you think?

Any comments and/or criticism is appreciated. Thank you, and happy shooting

Camera: Canon EOS 3000n (film, full-frame)

Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

Setttings: ISO 200, f2, 1/1500 (?)

Film: Kodak Gold 200

Bigger the light, Greater the Shadow

NixonS's gear list:NixonS's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow