Replicating selfie look with larger camera

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 380
Replicating selfie look with larger camera

Hello all,
I am looking for advise on how to replicate the look of selfies taken by people using their mobile phones but using a larger full frame camera.  I commonly see two types of selfies;  firstly ones where the user is holding the camera out at arms length and secondly, when the user uses the rear mounted camera and shoots into a mirror.
Looking at the iPhone 12 Max it appears that the rear mounted camera most people would use for a selfie is the full frame equivalent of 26mm and the front mounted selfie camera is 23mm.  Given a lot of people put selfies on IG I also assume they use the app and thus use a 5:4 or 1:1 aspect ratio.
Other than posing, what would you recommend to I do to replicate the look?  I assume using the same focal length as a camera phone would help.  I feel if I use a different focal length then it will subconsciously trigger the viewer into feeling that something about the image is off.  
I was also thinking about shooting wide open as I believe most camera phones add some background blur automatically in portrait modes.  
I don't own a modern smart phone (well one that I use regularly) which is why I am asking here.  What I am trying to achieve is a "better" selfie look by controlling light using OCF and a FF system whilst still giving the impression it was taken on a phone. 
Thanks in advance

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow