Advice on photographing folks in bright daylight...?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Advice on photographing folks in bright daylight...?

I have a little volunteer gig coming up, for an organization that I’m part of that promotes jazz in my town (we have a festival that will hopefully happen in August). I’d be shooting some mini-concerts that will be happening in the driveways or backyards of a few of our biggest donors (it’s a program called “take out jazz" that brings the music to the fans). My issue is that I’m not really accustomed to photographing folks outside in what may end up being the middle of the day. Whenever I shoot snapshots of folks in mid day sun, I never seem to get a great look. I won’t have the luxury of having folks to hold reflectors or anything like that, but I do have a Godox TT350 flash, which I can even put on a stand and use off-camera if necessary… but I’m not sure if that thing is powerful enough, particularly with the HSS feature that I think that I'd probably need to use. I haven’t yet used that thing in these kind of settings and I don’t really know it’s capabilities for use as fill-in in what’s likely to be pretty bright daylight. That little flash is all I have right now, though I suppose that I could buy the bigger Godox (I’d hopefully find other uses for it) but I wonder if even that more powerful flash has enough juice to work in the HSS setting (which I know really sucks up the power), competing with bright light?

If not flash, what other sorts of techniques would be good to use in such a situation? I have a couple of fast primes, so that I can at least get some burry backgrounds...

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow