How do I tether a Canon EOS R6? (With a tether cable)

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,542
Re: Second related question

mgambard wrote:

Your solution is simple. I tether my R6 to my iMac with a USB-C to USB-C cable. (Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C are the same).

A couple of things. As far as I know, USB-C and true Thunderbolt 3 cables are significantly different.

I am, however, glad to hear your (and one previous poster's) experience that an "ordinary" USB-C to USB-C cable works for the set-up you describe, which is similar to my own, because that removes my worry about the length restrictions for true Thunderbolt 3 cables.

Both Thunderbolt 3 cables and "ordinary" USB-C cables use the same physical male connectors, so, in that sense, they are the same. Otherwise, they are quite different in their electrical specs and the data transmission speed they allow. Until the 3.1 and 3.2 specs of the slower cords are replaced by the more universal USB 4 cables and ports, Thunderbolt 3 cables will still allow more charging options and much faster transmission speeds.

I was originally concerned that, since my Mac was using Thunderbolt 3 (max speed 40Gbps) and my camera (R5) port was using "ordinary" USB-C with something like USB 3.1 or 3.2 specs and a maximum data throughput speed of either 5 or 10 Gbps, that there might be some difficulty in compatibility, forcing me to uses a true Thunderbolt 3 cable, none of which are practically long enough for my tethering uses.

Thanks for your reassurance that a longer "ordinary" USB-C cable will successfully work to tether my M1 Mac to my R5.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow