Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
Re: Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

darrellc wrote:

Have kids (now 8 and 12), have owned the lenses you currently have and have had the 24-105 from release and tried the 24-70GM for a bit.

24-105 is too slow (f4) indoors or in low light with any movement necessitating faster shutter speeds without relying on flash IMO. I tend to use the FE 35/1.8 which has superlative C-AF ability on the latest bodies (have A7RIV) in these conditions. The 35 GM will replace it soon. The 24-105 is a great family lens in daylight, bright conditions, capable of excellent shots even at f4 (better at f5.6 towards the long end).
You’ll get lots of differing opinions in these responses and many will say go for the 24-105.

My opinion is you want a f2.8 zoom and preferably a fast prime for shooting kids (f2 or better) in marginal light conditions.

there are tests of the OSS out there… I think you gain maybe a stop at most vs IBIS only in the zoom’s focal range. It doesn’t make a big difference. Does help more in video though.

If you read OP's post carefully, he want zoom for bright condition. Lowlight is already covered by primes. So f4 zoom is plenty fast for that.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow