Firmware update for Olympus E-M1X & III???

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,591
Re: Firmware update for Olympus E-M1X & III???

NicsPixels wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

NicsPixels wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

I’m not expecting anything beyond ‘bug fixes’ and new lens (if any) compatibility

I’d expect the new owner to have a different approach to giving features away for free.

Peter

Hhmmmm...I was hoping for an update to the autofocus tracking for other wildlife...not just birds. Seems like they can really market to wildlife photographers with the system and lenses.

Compared to many other cameras, Animal Eye AI AF is long overdue for the X.

And for the Mark III, but I just can’t see OMDS doing it for free.

If they are developing new cameras then that’s where I expect to see new features. They really need a new model that will leap ahead of the existing ones and I can’t see that happening if new features are trickled to the Mark III and the X

Peter

It would be an excellent way to instill hope with Olympus users. Give a great free update and pump out a “Wow” camera?! That'd be awesome and really show some of the “M4/3’s is dead” commenters what’s up.

But will any of that help the profitability and success of the new venture. I really think they need to win the hard financial battles, not the hearts and minds of the Olympus faithful.

An E-M1 Mark IV is what I think they need (2022) with:

> Bird AF, Animal Eye AF and Tr that really works and with target selection controls for when there are more than one animal in view.
> updated EVF and LCD
> updated sensor
> same BLH-1 battery and same HLD-9 (or at least BLH-1 and HLD-9 backward compatible)
> SD card based FW updates
> 4K 60 video

and they should start it at a competitive price, not the usual high price like they did with the Mark II and the X. It needs to be an ‘all or nothing’ camera priced on day-0 to have the pre-order lists filled.

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow