Coming back to M43 from Nikon...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ScrappyMC Junior Member • Posts: 39
Coming back to M43 from Nikon...

I am an avid birder and love photography.

I've moved between camera brands several times over the past few years, always looking for the best mix between performance, price, and weight.

I used an EM5 Mark II for a couple of years, loved it the functionality but wasn't sold on the C-AF performance or the form factor. The lack of a grip didn't sit well with telephoto lenses.

Switched to Nikon's D7200 with the 70-300 af-p DX lens and then eventually the Sigma 150-600 C. This is my current setup.

While I like the IQ, AF performance, and build quality of the D7200, it's weight bothers me and I the grip to be a poor fit for my hands. Also. I handhold everything as I don't drive and don't want to carry a tripod. That Sigma is bloody heavy for extended shooting sessions!

I have an opportunity to pick up an Olympus EM-1 Mark II with an extra battery and a pair of lenses (Oly plastic fantastic 40-150mm and Pany 14mm f2.8) for $1k CAD.

Ive always said if I could get the EM5's feature set on a gripped body with good PDAF performance, I'd be over the moon.

So. For anybody who's shot both Nikon's DSLRs and Olympus, what should I expect for AF performance beteen my D7200 and the EM 1.2?

I really like Olympus's cameras and love the weight and size of M43. It's always struck me as being a great compromise with excellent quality and features.

Opinions and feedback? Or am I crazy to switch the D7200?

P.S. I used the search function but wasn't able to find anything specific to D7200 vs EM 1.2 AF comparison.

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow