Is it bad to look for inspiration?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hippophile
Hippophile Forum Member • Posts: 57
Is it bad to look for inspiration?

I don't consider myself to be a very advanced photographer. I have some experience, and I've been shooting and researching for 2-3 years now, but I'm not super proud of a lot of my work. Because of this, I struggle with some confidence issues a bit.

Scrolling through Pinterest, I see tons of photos that I love. Seeing them, however, only makes the confidence worse a lot of the time because I feel like I am unable to achieve results like that.

But onto my question. Seeing these photos, I get tons of ideas and inspiration for my own photography, but it feels like I am simply copying others and that the photos I get, even if they are nice, are not great because they are not original. So my question is, is it bad to look for inspiration? Should I try to be very creative and not look at others' work so much? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing until I eventually get to a point where I'm satisfied with many of my shots and find my personal style?

Thank you

Hippophile's gear list:Hippophile's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow