Advice on Using Pentax DA* 300

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 65
Advice on Using Pentax DA* 300

I just received my brand new Pentax DA* 300 and put it on the K-3iii.  My purchase came out of an earlier thread regarding telephoto lenses and improvements over my Pentax 55-300mm ED at the 300mm end.  This is the most expensive lens I have ever bought and I have some use questions.

1.  Using the lens hand held in auto focus mode, is it safe to hold the camera by the focus ring?  I want to be sure I am not pushing against the focus motor when it is active.

2. What is the "camera position shift lock screw"?  I see it labeled in the figure on page 44 of the manual, but am not sure its function.

3. Using the lens without a tripod, I assume I should hold the lens and not the camera body?  To avoid putting a lot of stress on the K-mount.

4. Do most people use a tripod with this lens because of the weight?

I am nervous about accidentally damaging things, on this expensive lens and camera body, so all advice is welcome.

-- hide signature --

David Lees

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
2PK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow