Why so many ups and downs in speed transfer from SSD to HDD

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Jeff Wahaus Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: Why so many ups and downs in speed transfer from SSD to HDD

Nas from the Valley wrote:

Hi all, I was moving some RAW+JPG images from internal SSD to internal HDD (7200 RPM) while noticed that there were so many ups and downs in sthe speed transfer rate (from 170 MB/s to 10 MB/s), it was very anoying and slow. What could possibly be the problem or is it normal? I am not sure but I think I didn't have such issue with the speed transfer few weeks ago when I did the same operation.

Open Resource Monitor and see if anything else is using either HDD when you're doing the copy.  Windows 10 has a really bad habit of scanning your drives every time you boot up.

I just installed a WD Gold 6TB 7200 RPM 256MB-cache HDD and I get a consistent 150-200MB/Sec write speed to this drive when coping from SSD.  (as long as the files are fairly large like 10-20MB image files)

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow