FUJI X-H1 - Aperture Flickering and AF-S preview issues

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike1988 Forum Member • Posts: 93
FUJI X-H1 - Aperture Flickering and AF-S preview issues

Hello,

I made in the past a thread about the XF 18-55 thinking it was a problem related to its aperture blades or diaphgram but I can say now are not lens dependant some issues.
FUJIFILM X-H1 v2.12 and FUJI 18-55 v3.23

Take a look at the two video samples here.
Aperture priority, same camera settings and lens.
CLIP 1 - AF-S Flickering and stutters while moving the lens to different light sources or while half pressing (and release) the shutter button. IRIS movements are sticky and not smooth, Tried also AF ON, disable AF and AE lock from the shutter button with no luck or differences.

CLIP 2- MF mode, smooth live view and no issues. Even by using AF ON to focus or half shutter to lock exposure like in the first example everything is fine, iris goes back in forth in a single move while only adapting shutter speed, where in AF-S there are some issues and strange "patterns".

It's very annoying shooting in AF-S with this kind of flickering but as seen in the second example IRIS of the lens is fast and smooth, no problem. AF-C of course doesn't have any problem because the IRIS it's locked to the set value, but in AF-S and some exposure modes it moves slowly by steps, causing this weird flickering. Expecially outdoor of with high contrast light source is very noticeable, you can do some tests if you want to verify it.
In MF mode the IRIS is very very fast and quick, when you release the buttons it goes in place in a single move, with no lag or stutter.
I think it's also related to the constant depth of field preview while in AF-S so the iris constantly closing, but I cannot disable it in AF-S to get a smoother experience like on MF mode. It's useful but because it's not very smooth I want to disable it in AF-S mode, maybe it's the main problem here.
I'm now writing to Fujifilm to get confirm if it is a firmware problem or not, but seems to be. Please if you can do also some similar test with your X-H1 but also different body and lens combinations: stop down a bit the aperture, auto shutter, fixed ISO and switch between AF-S and MF, where you can use AF ON to focus or half shutter to lock exposure like in my example. You can see similar problems or not. I already reset my camera with no luck, no need by the way for your tests.
Thank You, please let me know.

ANSWER:
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow