Nikkor 500mm F4.0 glass drop-in filters

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ATpix Forum Member • Posts: 55
Nikkor 500mm F4.0 glass drop-in filters

I recently bought used Nikon 500mm f4.0 in like new condition. I think it may have been the last manual focus lens besides the 50mm 1.2 they offered.  It uses 2 different drop in filter holders, either gel or a 39mm screw in glass filter holder. The glass filter holder came with a Nikon L37c. I assume that is a UV filter?

I would really love a couple of  ND filters. I ordered  2 from GOBE. Unfortunately the Nikon screw in filter has an odd shape. The threaded section of the filter has a wider diameter than the actual glass portion. The filters I order have a more common wider diameter lens portion and narrower threaded portion. That wider lens flange area won't allow the filter to screw into the drop in holder.

Does anyone know of a source for these specific Nikon 39mm filters to fit the drop-in holder?

You can find very expensive and likely very old Wratten filters on eBay but I can't imagine that a gel filter is going to do much for the image quality. Is anyone still making optical gel filters?

Thanks for any feedback.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow