Best EOS-M body for manual focus.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Larry Rexley Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: Best EOS-M body for manual focus.

I use vintage manual focus lenses quite often... sometimes I pack my bag with only manual focus lenses if I am in a 'vintage' mood and not shooting moving subjects.

I've only shot with the M6 and M6 Mark II from the 'M' line and both work extremely well, in my opinion, for manual focusing. In fact I would say they are better for me than any of the old 'original' vintage cameras the lenses were designed for in the 70s and 80s.

I have focus peaking on my M6ii turned to max sensitivity, and my preference is to use the 'blue' peaking highlights rather than red or yellow. I find the blue to stand out more for the landscapes and subjects I shoot.

When I'm shooting landscapes at f5.6 or f8, focus peaking is my method of choice, as it gives a good impression of the 'depth' of focus and it is very fast. For smaller apertures focus peaking is much faster than 'zoom' focusing and is good enough. Sometimes I will focus wide open and stop down, sometimes I will focus already stopped down.

When shooting wide open, or close to wide open (low light or for lens tests) I will use the 10x magnified focusing which makes tack-sharp focus pretty obvious. I love the fact that you can shift the 'magnified' region anywhere in the frame with the 'arrow' controls. Some of my vintage lenses have pronounced field curvature, and focusing a point in the middle, then moving the camera so that the desired focus point is off to one side does not give accurate focusing.

I have a Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 that has a quite short focus throw and is an extremely sharp lens, which is difficult to focus precisely on any camera. The slightest amount off makes the difference between a tack sharp photo and an obviously fuzzy one. For this lens I use the 10x magnifier much more often than the other lenses, and even with the magnifier, focusing the lens is tricky! After focusing, just taking my finger off the focusing barrel sometimes shifts focus ever-so slightly to out-of-focus --- and I may have to refocus one or more times. This is the only lens I have that issue with, but I read others have the same issue with that lens as well.

I have a Minolta MC Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8 and an Ultranar (Kobori-made) 28-200mm f 3.8-5.6 superzoom that are also very tricky to focus. At the wide end they both have very sensitive focusing, and both lenses have noticeable field curvature. The M6ii's manual focusing abilities are flexible and give you what you need to focus those more difficult lenses.

Larry Rexley's gear list:Larry Rexley's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow