Expose for shadows/highlights

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,439
Re: Expose for shadows-dev for highlights

ross attix wrote:

Overrank wrote:

ross attix wrote:

Meter will give average reflective reading of scene. Shadow areas are darker, so can open 1-2 stops for added detail. Then develop for how much detail you want in the highlights, which usually will mean some under development if you have added exposure during capture, and want to avoid having the highlights block up. The dynamic range of your scene will be the jumping off point for decisions about how much adjustment you need.

Ideally you want to shoot and develop a roll or two, testing and making notes about what you did. This is a learning process and too complicated for a in depth explanation here. There are volumes written about this subject. Don’t try to learn it all at once.

As far as I’m aware the changes in development are only for black and white - C41 / E6 are standardised processes ?

I should have been more specific that my comments were regarding b/w negative film. I think you are right about C-41. E-6 times can definitely be extended or reduced, I’ve done it plenty of times, but E-6 is reversal film so the highlights are the thinnest part of the film vs them being the densest part of negative film.

I’ve had slide film pushed in the past but I’ve never thought of it as a way of pulling up the shadows, more as increasing the effective speed of the film (so you’d meter a stop or two faster). With certain C41 films (XP2 particularly) I often shoot a couple of stops below box speed but have developed normally. Again that’s to increase the smoothness / minimise grain of the final image. I’d never reall6 thought of it as bringing up the shadows.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow