Z7 For Landscapes - Lightening the Load

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dude in CA New Member • Posts: 8
Z7 For Landscapes - Lightening the Load

So I'm considering getting a Z7 for landscape photography.  My current camera gear which I clog around with:

• Nikon D500
  • Tamron 24-70 f/2.8
  • Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
  • Tokina 11-20 f/28

My main objective is to go lighter as my current load for camera gear is over 25lbs.  A good chunk of that is due to my tripod and head but I can also save some weight going with lighter glass.

I've been happy with the focal lengths I have and I rarely shoot landscapes at f/2.8 on my Tamron lenses.  I figured going mirrorless and f/4 would save some weight.  I was looking at Z mount lenses and direct replacements for the Tamron lenses in f/4 would be the Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4 and the Nikkor Z 24-200 f/4-6.3.  Combined I would save almost 3.5lbs (camera and lenses).  But I'm wondering if I would really need both Nikkor lenses since they are covering the same focal length.  Is there any point to have both out in the field?

Basically, what are the pros and cons of replacing my 24-70 and 70-200 with just the Nikkor 24-200?  Would I be giving up a lot of image quality?  I can't think of the downside and there must be one because it seems too easy.  I'd save 4.5 lbs and greatly simplify my routine.

If I don't need the 24-70, any suggestions on what I might consider instead?  Perhaps a prime?

Thanks!

Nikon D500 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow