JJC vs Panasonic grips for GX9

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,884
JJC vs Panasonic grips for GX9

The shallow grip that the GX9 has is a bit fatiguing when you are using larger lenses, even with small hands like I have.  The GX8 had a great grip, even though it was shallow, but something about the angle of the inner edge of the GX9 prevents your fingers from wrapping around enough to grip really well.  So, I decided one of the aftermarket grips might be just the thing, since I do shoot with the 100-400mm quite a bit, and the last thing I want is for the camera to go sailing out of my hands if my fingers slip...

I looked at both the JJC/Vello (same grip, different branding) and Panasonic DMW-HGR2 grips.  I decided I preferred the open battery section, which Panasonic does not have, so I ordered the JJC grip.  Surprisingly enough, I found it very uncomfortable.  The finger grip section was not deep nor tall enough, and the bottom edges stuck out from the camera along the front and back sides due to ridges for Arca plate compatibility. Also, on the right (grip) side, the bottom edge stuck out to the side just enough to hit my hand wrong, making that very uncomfortable (if you have bigger hands, that might not be an issue, but it was for me).

I then ordered the Panasonic grip.  Yes, it is much more inconvenient since you do have to unscrew it from the base to change the battery or card, BUT it fits the camera perfectly.  The depth, shape, and height of the grip is just right, and it allows excellent handling of the camera even with a large lens on.  The bottom edges of the grip are flush with the body, and don't protrude into the palm when you are gripping the camera, so it's very comfortable there, too.

So, even though it has the decided inconvenience of no battery opening, the Panasonic grip is the clear winner in the handling department for the GX9.  It makes a huge difference if you are shooting with larger lenses, and I recommend it highly.

One other thing:  If you haven't gotten the accessory eyecup, you should.  It makes a huge difference in being able to shoot outside using the EVF in sunny weather.

-J

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow