Canon R6 with EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM plus Extender EF 2x III

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jboyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Re: R6 + 1.4x and 2x (NEW PICS part 2)

Marco Nero wrote:

Marco, just curious: beyond the fixed focal and weight, would I expect better results buying a 600 mm f/11 compared to the gear I noted above?

That's a hard question to answer since I haven't used the EF 600mm f/11 but I know that Canon don't recommend using the EF 100-400mm Mk 1 lens because it's pre-digital (although it does work on the R cameras). The EF Mk II Extenders were known to be "softer" than the Mk III extenders but they've been in use for many years so there's nothing to stop you using them . I'd actually like to see the results if you do.

Here you are, Marco

Cropped 1/2 About 25 feet away - Hand held

I remember failing ALL my 64 ASA  rolls shooting with a 35mm Konica and a 300mm Tamron lens (f /5.3) in the 70s.

I am sure there are way better hummingbird pics. However, I am 'slowly' tilting towards the 600 mm f/11, as I realize that, in sunshine, f/11 at 3 to 4 k ISO, is fine. My take is that the 100-400 vintage may be (way) better in the corners and not that different from a lens built in 2021 in the center. I find the weight of the combo with extender to be pretty annoying.

I also feel that the 600 mm may have a better stabilization than the vintage 100-400 as you noted. The IQ would be improved using a tripod, I am sure; but the idea is to shoot hand held. AF was NOT fast,

There are a few posts praising the the 600... along with a number praising the 100-500. Different lens universe, for different users! (With different budgets.)

Regards.

-- hide signature --
 jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow