Video workflow, prune source video?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JLTaylor Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Video workflow, prune source video?

I have a couple of new projects that need video. So I'm starting to use all that video capability built into my stills cameras. It's been an interesting exercise, and it only required a modest investment in a set of ND filters and wireless mics to have a reasonably capable setup. It has also quadrupled my respect for film makers.

I have way too much original source video that I would prefer to not keep.

I'm shooting interviews, and using a couple of hours of source video, shot on multiple cameras, to create clips that are only a couple of minutes long.

I'm using Davinci Resolve to edit. It is my understanding, perhaps incorrect, that after I finish editing if I do anything to the source files, like delete the parts I know I won't use, it will break the project.

I could do some editing before loading the clips into Resolve, but because I'm shooting multicam I don't want to try and keep track and sync a bunch of short clips.

I haven't been able to find a solution on the web, but it could be because I'm not using the proper terminology.

Can I change my workflow, or is it standard practice to keep all the source material?

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow