Z6ii, A7RIII, or R6? (kids & landscapes) ... Bias Wanted! :D.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Handiworks
Handiworks Regular Member • Posts: 495
Z6ii, A7RIII, or R6? (kids & landscapes) ... Bias Wanted! :D.

Good morning Nikonians!

I've posted a similar thread in the Sony & Canon forums, but in my researching I came across a Z6ii firmware update video on AF and the autofocus update wasn't what caught my eye but Nikon's colors!

Quick background, I have mostly shot Nikon (all the way back to my darkroom days), but with the rise of mirrorless I sold all my Nikon kit while it had value and have been waiting out the milc wars to see what system to invest in... and am looking at them all.

With 6 kids that are FAST and a love of landscapes my needs are at opposite sides of the spectrum lol. Like many I'm looking the best combination along with a secondary consideration of a system to share with my children (smaller body a la Z5). This is mostly for photography though I will be shooting some video. We also use photography heavily in our school "Wild Goose Academy" for everything from art to physics, mechanics, geography, etc. It's a great bridge for blending many topics and one that everyone can participate in.

I had written off Nikon as a consideration after the many reviews I'd read on their af system but am extremely impressed with their lens lineup (and DXO marks!), and if the AF is good enough, the Z6ii with the 24-70 F4S is the best all arounder for my needs at the moment...as well as the price.

The ergonomics and build are on Canon level, the lenses are offering exceptional performance and a character which exceeds the somewhat lackluster flare of much of the mirrorless glass out there, the screens are excellent, the customization is almost on par with Sony, and Snapbridge seems as robust as Canon Connect (and can replace the variable screen to monitor video). LCD & menu's are fully touch enabled, and the Z6ii has a top lcd as well.

The other 2 options I'm looking at are the A7RIII with the Tamron 28-200 (what a sweet lens!), or the R6 with the RF 35mm 1.8. If I go Nikon I'll also supplement with a z50 1.8 prime and maybe the z24-200 that has had surprisingly great reviews for an F4+ Ultra-Zoom lens.

• If you've switched to Nikon Z system, from what, and why?
  • How is the Low-Light and ISO performance?
  • How's the Autofocus after 1.20 update?
  • How is the Z6ii for daily life (kids, sports games, vacations, etc.)?

Sorry for the long post, but am very interested in your thoughts and experiences with the Nikon Z line, as it is my least researched at the moment. I also added a few pics from the A7III I rented to test out it's sensor and ergonomics. The flower pics were purposefully pushed and pulled way further than normal purely for testing... amazing camera.

Thanks for lending your helping hand...er eye :D.

My Tribe

Early morning lowlight testing (A7III)

Early morning lowlight testing (A7III)

-- hide signature --

Researching all MILC Systems, Olympus OMD-EM1, & some other bits.
"The present is the only place where time touches eternity" C.S. Lewis

Handiworks's gear list:Handiworks's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
Canon EOS R6 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow