How to set Topaz DeNoise AI sliders ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tai_Ji_51 Forum Member • Posts: 60
How to set Topaz DeNoise AI sliders ?

Gave Topaz DeNoise AI Photoshop Plug-in another run with an ISO 1250 test image for which Auto mode proposed values 13 for Remove Noise and 41 for Enhance Sharpness - all other sliders left at 0 position - and delivered a very decent result in Low Light mode, though much noisier in some oof areas next to the subject in normal mode (subject detection ???)

Normal mode seems to apply different algorithm to the subject and background when Low Light mode would rather treat globally - with much less artefacts, imho.

The fact is that I found that lowering DeNoise AI Low Light mode "Remove Noise" slider was recovering detail indeed, but while keeping a similar (if not equal) level of noise removal, even when going back to 0, provided the "Enhance Sharpness" slider was not set below 1, as would then suddenly bring all the noise back (BUT ONLY in case Remove Noise slider would also be set at 0)

In fact, it would seem that at least one of these two sliders value has to be minimum 1 for noise to be removed (let's bear in mind that "normal" AI mode minimum possible value for the sharpness slider is 1) BUT also found that values 0-1 def. removed more noise while retaining a little bit more detail than values 1-0 - picture seen at 400/500% , looked at Oof subject areas on a 32" 4K screen

Experimenting further, I found that DeNoise AI "normal" mode "Remove Noise" slider would need to go around 24 to produce similar results (to my eyes) and for this picture, but it consumes much more time and eyes fatigue than simply lowering Low Light mode slider to 0.

At this stage, have not made my mind yet whether enhancing sharpness was usefull or a waste in my present workflow, as is remapping pixels and possibly sometimes introducing color changes in small details, and artefacts.

I don't process 2 images with the very same recipe and am rather trying to learn TK7 Panels (luminosity masks) to make selections and slightly apply/brush NIK Detail Extractor and/or Output Sharpener (Structure, Local contrast and/or Focus subsets) on 4 separate layer masks and on separate localized areas.

unfortunately, 24 hours a day are not enough
Enjoy your outings

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow