Discontinued Nikon lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,128
Re: Discontinued Nikon lenses

mais51 wrote

I hope Nikon bring out an update version of the 16-35mm. The lens released more than 10 years ago - even the cheaply built 18-35 is better optically.

Not in my experience. I have heard of some very poor examples of the 16-35, in fact there was a thread last week where the pictures posted were very soft even in the centre. But assuming you get a normal copy of the 16-35, it is pretty much identical in optical performance between 18 and 35mm as the 18-35. Both lenses seem to dislike the 35mm focal length.

The only difference between my two is that the 16-35 has a 16mm option that the 18-35 obviously doesn’t. Admittedly, at 16mm the corners are softer than at 18mm and I think that’s where the idea that the 18-35 is better comes from because you can argue that at their widest setting the 18-35 is better than the 16-35, but that’s because the 16-35 is doing something the 18-35 can’t.

If you don’t want the 16mm option, the 18-35 is cheaper (although not much if buying used) lighter and smaller.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow