an interloper from APS-C dSLRs with a Q about the Olympus OM-D E-M10

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peter in Canberra Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
an interloper from APS-C dSLRs with a Q about the Olympus OM-D E-M10

Interloper here asking some Qs I hope aren't tedious for this forum.

I shoot mostly with Nikon D7500 and D3300 and am happy with them - APS-C / DX dSLRs.

I have a possibly fantastical (and unnecessary) interest in having a pocketable (~) camera with a viewfinder and reasonably good image quality for the use scenario of 'travel / snaps'. And without spending a whole lot of money.

The Olympus E-M10  (mk 1) looks like it might fit the bill: small body footprint; m4/3 sensor; reasonable EVF (apparently); a kit zoom that stows as a pancake (the EZ 14-42 lens).
I realise that the Mk 1 has been superseded by Mk 2, 3 and 4. The new Mk 4 is out of the question, as is the Mk 3, on $ grounds. Using the DPReview compare tool I don't see a whole lot of meaningful differences between all of them apart from increased EVF resolution? Am I missing something there? In any case the Mk 1 might be suitable.

My question is about what the shooting experience would be like in comparison to using a dSLR, e.g. the D3300? (The OVF and EVF are apparently about the same size for those 2 bodies).

Anyone else using both (E-M10 and dSLR) and how do you find the comparative shooting experiences? viewfinder comparisons? autofocus? electronic zoom ring of the EZ lens vs mechanical zoom? noise? sharpness (though that's really down to the lenses).

One more specific Q - the battery life of the E-M10s is about 300 / charge. How much more juice does the electronic EZ lens chew up?

I picked up an old Canon G16 for the form factor aspect and it is OK but not quite in the same league.

thanks in advance, Peter.

Canon PowerShot G16 Nikon D3300 Nikon D7500 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow