Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
10DeeQ Regular Member • Posts: 161
Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

hi, i currently using A7 II , and soon will be upgrading to mark IV when it's available.

my current lens collection are

-Batis 25/2

-Sony Zeiss 35 f2.8

-Sony Zeiss 55 f1.8

-Sony G 70-200 f4

i uses mostly prime but since i have 2 daughters now, i have no time to shoot them,

so mostly i'm using my iPhone to take picture of them 😁

now since the pandemic, i have a little bit more times to play with my camera again, and also my Batis 25 f2 is broken now, you know kids 😔.

so im in the market for another lens.

i really want a zoom now as being a parents we already carrying a lot of kids stuff when we are travelling and also it's very troublesome to change lenses with kids are around, hence the batis tragedy 😔

in my mind i'm eyeing :

-Sony G 24-105 f4 OSS

-Sony GM 24-70 f2.8

-Sigma art 24-70 f2.8

all have pro's an cons, so i couldnt really decide yet which one i should get.

i like the sony 24-105 , but will the f4 sufficient for "freezing" the kids ? i'm thinking to use it for mainly outdoors or at least a brightly lit indoor situation, when i need a low light lens i can still bring the 35 f2.8 or the 55 f1.8 since they are quite small.

the 24-70 GM is also tempting , but the size and price reeally make me think twice.

the sigma is very tempting, but since it's not a "Sony" brand, i'm skeptical about it's autofocus perfromance, i'm buying the next a7 IV body that surely have a better af and better burst than my A7 II , i worried the Sigma can't take a full advantage of it since it's not sony branded lens (is this just my thought or is it the truth ?)

one more thing, the GM and the Sigma doesn't have. OSS, the sony 24-105 have OSS. Does it make a differences when using it handheld ? since most probably the A7 IV will have in body image stabilizer just like the A7 II that i have.

so those who have experiences with all of the lenses above to shoot kids, or pets, please give me some inputs, thank you so much.

10DeeQ's gear list:10DeeQ's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4
Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow